Five Experience Enhancements to Increase Apple’s iPhone 5 Delight
Even though Apple’s products scream with delight (and sales), our data shows they’re no longer the highest-rated smartphone in the market. Take a look at the Buzz and Experience Landscape for the market’s top smartphones and notice that Apple is facing competition at the top.
In anticipation for the iPhone 5 announcement, we’ve identified a few improvements based on our iPhone 4 Segmented Attribute Funnel and our previous smartphone experience to increase delight scores in iPhone 5.
- Demand better service from carriers, ahem, AT&T. Seriously! Quality/Reliability, Call Quality, and Phone scores are rated poorly from all user groups from the Curmudgeons to the Lovers. This is where service providers can make or break your product.
- Prove LTE-4G is worth it or wait for the technology to catch up. The skeptics say nay, but I’m ready, Apple, for you to prove us wrong. Please don’
t deliver 4G and sacrifice the user experience. Which leads me to…
- Battery power. I’m pretty sure we’re ten years behind schedule for the flying car. We should be able produce a smartphone battery that lasts longer than a day. I’m also not convinced that an A5 processor will fix the problem. I can’t say it enough. You want to compete? Amp up your battery life.
- Invest in the right features. What’s with the camera hype? Camera use does not appear in iPhone’s top-10 uses. Increase that ROI by improving and innovating in the top user experiences (phone, web surfing, Skype/chat, music, movies, games).
- NFC technology. From a competitive standpoint, watch out! Google is on a mission. And let’s not kid ourselves—NFC is coming. Here’s your opportunity for innovation. Create the rules and enhance this new consumer experience.
Apple, you’re performing where it counts. Apps, email, and passion for the product are rated high. We’re excited to see what new innovation you will present in iPhone 5. To the rest of the smartphone players, we’ve just described the gaps in one of the best smartphone experiences. Go forth and do great things.